Friday, January 16, 2009

Fearing Life Undefined

Ephesians 5:15-17
"Look carefully then how you walk, not as unwise but as wise, making the best use of the time, because the days are evil. Therefore do not be foolish, but understand what the will of the Lord is."

Have you ever read this verse and been haunted by the phrase "Making the Best use of Time"? I am continually plagued by the sobriety of living a walk worthy to that which I've been called to ---a life we've all been called to.

I have sought the Lord concerning many facets of my life and I believe certain truths that undeniably shape my reality and my aspirations for the future. Yet in all my belief...I still fail to uphold my end of the deal. To Love the Lord my God with ALL my heart and ALL my soul and ALL my might! Basically I give Him some, and a little, and well...not very much.

Every once and awhile I'll get really charged up and dig into the Bible, salivating for more and more of God. But with the coming of a new week, a tough work load, and obligations that press in...well, to be honest, that new found fervor dissipates and I'm left knowing there is more out there but ignoring that little tug in my heart and fixing my thoughts elsewhere.

Such a sad state in which to reside.

How can I dig myself out of this miry pit? From where does my help come from?

I do not pretend to have "the answer" but my journey thus far has contributed some tips!

1st and foremost: Jesus, Jesus, Jesus! It is through Him that we experience all of the promises of Isaiah 61. Deliverance from bondage, addictions, habits, snares, curses, fear, illness, etc.
I believe Jesus came to set the captives free and that includes you and I.

If we try to succeed in our own strength, the results are either temporary or incomplete. We need a supernatural God to fill us with His grace, truth, love, and strength!

ok.

Secondly: Pray
I know, duh....but seriously I think back on my day, week, month, life! -how much of it was actually spent praying?
To demystify prayer, here are some basic principles I've come to learn.

Prayer does not have to be flowery or full of deep thoughts. In fact some of the most significant prayers in my life have consisted of one word, "Help!!" (I've even come to a point where I now utter this in Spanish :} Ayudame!! Necessito Su Ayudad por favor!)

Prayer is often praying the Bible back to God. Think of it as a court of law. Lawyers not only have to be familiar with the law but they have to be able to reference it with each case and present their claim. When we pray God's own words back to Him, we are obtaining a guarantee win! (keep in mind that God's response time operates on a totally different playing field than ours but that does not render the prayer useless. In fact, there is great power in persevering in prayer)

In keeping with How the Lord reveals Himself to you, there will be different postures of the heart. Some prayers are repentant, others with fear & trembling, while other times it will be a time of joy & laughter as if chatting with a good friend, and sometimes words cannot be spoken because of the awe that washes over you. More so there will be times of sorrow when you can feel a taste of God's heart for His people, times of burden where the weight is heavy yet beautifully sweet!

Prayers that God will always answer: "Lord, give me a hunger for your word"-- "Lord, show me your heart" --"Jesus, I need more of You!"
If you seek Him, you will find Him.....there are times of silence for sure but in that silence His character does not change.


Alrighty....back to making the best use of time :)

a great teaching on this subject is a 4 part series by Mike Bickle of the International House of Prayer in Kansas City, MO. It is called:

The Power of a Focused Life
If you have not discovered this gem, please check out the link.

(One note concerning this teaching. When I finished it, I was all fired up to schedule every part of my day and do things right. awesome!! but remember sometimes it takes time to get things to fit just right. Seek the Lord on what should be a part of your daily activities. What are some things He's put on your heart lately that have been simmering on the back burner? What items of your routine need the boot?)

mmm...there is so much more to say, but sleep is weighing in heavy on my brain right now, so I must oblige :}

Fare thee well my dear & beloved friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment