Saturday, January 17, 2009

Are we devouring the Menu & not the Meal?

I commute to work about 40 minutes one way and thereby spend a good portion of my week in my car. Tonight while driving home I was listening to Mike Bickle's series on the Song of Solomon. During his overview he mentioned that there is an importance to intellectually studying the Bible and it can be fun to dive into hard core studying..... But it can't stop there!

Intellectually reading the Bible is a good start, but it needs to go one step farther & become a part of us! We need to be able to translate the language of the Bible in the language of our hearts!

Then he gave this great analogy: Say you visit this awesome city and go to a world renown restaurant. You don't go there and bask in the menu. When the server comes to take your order you don't say "ah this Menu!! it's so good, I just want to read this menu! do you have other menus I can compare it to?"
No, the menu is only so good in that it leads us to the Meal! The point where we can digest the nutrition & flavor! Even if we order and have a table full of delicious food, we would die of starvation if we did not engage and eat the food, making it a part of us!

*All of the above was my paraphrase of what Mike Bickle said, so he gets the credit for making such a profound analogy not me :)

Any ways, I thought that was too good not to share! Blessings

3 comments:

  1. This gets me thinking... You know how colleges have think tanks to discuss big ideas and to start new thought processes? I think that having a "think tank" time with God, even beyond our devotions, really helps (me at least) to really understand what God's saying. If we spend time thinking about what God has said, we can savor the 'flavor' of His words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. mmm... I like that! savor the flavor makes me think of a big steak that you don't want to stop chewing b/c it tastes so good! or like a cow that has 4 stomache chambers--we are to continually chew on the Word!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The only difference is that food eventually runs out, or we get too full. But, thankfully, there is always more of the Word and I, for one, can never get enough of it!

    ReplyDelete